Wednesday, January 28, 2009

problems.

I was reading a book that someone recommended — not exactly my taste but I'll read just about anything to see what it's about. It's a book on spirituality and awareness. I was a little turned off because so far it has seemed a little simple-minded. One thing that bothered me is the tone of ridicule it had in suggesting a person would deny "eternal happiness" if it meant they would have to never see or speak to someone they love. If I had to make the decision, me personally be the person making it, to give up someone I love just for full awareness and happiness, I would feel destroyed and unhappy. I guess I value love over happiness. And this statement doesn't mean that I am a generally unhappy person. I would say I'm more often happy, but I sometimes I have sad moments. I'm okay with having sad moments. Those moments are just as important as the sad, and they help a person appreciate being happy.

So, the book I'm reading talks about how people are never pleased or at peace. We're always displeased about something and wanting things to be better. The author was criticizing this tendency, and I was thinking that maybe this is a good thing. I think I'm okay with it. I think it is what has allowed us to achieve so much in a short amount of time here. Of course, we've done some horrible things and a person could hold the belief that the horrible things we've done out-weigh the good. I tend to take the more optimistic look and believe the opposite it true.

Sometimes I feel like we are centuries ahead of what we can actually achieve. Our desires are so far ahead of what we'd actually want out of the world. I would like to see a clean healthy world without war and poverty and evil. I wonder if it will ever happen but I doubt it will in our life time, and I guess we just continue to pass these ideas down to future generations and hope, have faith even, that something positive will be done with this strong human desire. But I'm only here for another 80 years or so. I doubt I'll see all the change too much in my time probably just baby steps. But that's why I like about humanity. We don't give up hope for the most part. We keep trying.

No comments: