Monday, May 17, 2010

Jean-Baptiste-Simeon Chardin

I am returning to my art histories after a bit of a hiatus. I was thinking about taking an art course, but I decided to save the moneys and just do some studying on my own. I also am thinking that I need to put less pressure to remember every detail. I think I should be more interested in knowing who the artists are, their significance, and some of their work. Just a brief introduction.

So, today, I'm learning about Jean-Baptiste-Simeon Chardin. Long name. He was a Rocco era painter, but apparently his work did not have the same level of gaiety that other Rocco painters showed. He was a master at still lifes and depicted scenes of French middle class.


















The Copper Drinking Fountain, ca. 1734


















Return from the Market, 1739























The Prayer Before Meal, 1744













Still Life with Jar of Olives, 1760

No comments: