Sunday, March 16, 2008

damn, rick poynor (in a good way).

I eat up Rick Poynor's words. Brits have such a good way of seeing the world.

When questioning the search for that newness to which humans are so obsessively attracted, Poynor says, "One thing you might start to wonder is whether all the effort that goes into this search might be better directed into trying to gain a deeper insight into what you have already discovered."

That's another thing that really interests me. I want to study change, and this idea has a deep connection to change. Just because I intend to study change does not mean I am pro-change all the time for any reason. Change should happen when change is needed.

Like church. WHY DO WE NEED DRUMSETS AND ELECTRIC GUITARS IN CHURCH!!!!!!!! Can't there be one thing in our lives that celebrates hundreds of years of tradition. Something that stays solemn and beautiful. It seems to me that church would a decent stage for keeping it pure. I like feeling connected to centuries of humans before me celebrating the deep and meaningful philosophy of our own existence.

But that was off-topic.

Poynor says that "more information does not necessarily add up to greater understanding." I feel that comments like these are very helpful for me personally when needing concrete information to help support my intentions in returning to school. I want to study it all. Learn it all. Understand it all.

No comments: