Sunday, November 29, 2009

George Caleb Bingham

George Caleb Bingham is known as the first exceptional talent coming out of the "West" in the 1800s. I'm not usually too intrigued by this kind of work, but I really like his use of light and dark, and I think the drama in the shape and intensity of his shadows are quiet beautiful. I think the moment captured in the fur-trader painting is really serene and beautiful.

The style he paints in is the American art style called "Luminism". His paintings are iconic images of 19th century American Frontier life. He become know as the Missouri artist and most of his works are at art museum in Missouri.

So, this is just some basic information. It's good to know a little more (since I started at zero) about this artist.

*Luminism is characterized by showing light of landscapes by hiding brushstrokes. That's sort of what I noticed in the drama Bingham produces in the shapes of his shadows. They are evidence of his eliminating certain brushstrokes. Work described in this style comes out of the Hudson River School. The effect of light shown with luminism is similar to Impressionism (though the style look very different).




No comments: