Sunday, February 17, 2008

butter.

I would like to take a moment to applaud Ramada Inn. As I cruise through the jumble and mess that is our visual landscape, I often pause and take a relaxed, almost therapeutic, breath when I come across a billboard or ad showing Ramada Inn's new identity. They have made a leap away from the clunky, screaming logos of other comparable hotels.

Apparently, this new identity is a part of a huge branding effort made in order to upgrade their image. It is nice when a company's brand translates the message to its visual counterpart with such fluidity and grace.

So, what is Days Inn trying to say with their new logo? I see butter packaging. I'm not sure if that was their intent. I read on the Wydham Worldwide site that the goal was to translate their company pledge "A promise as sure as the sun" into their new branding. Promise? Wait a second. That's a kind of butter. Slippery, greasy, artery clogging butter. Seriously, what is their deal with butter?

I suppose my interpretation doesn't not coincide with Days Inn's intent, but I will say that I personally feel that Ramada wins this rebranding round. Good job, Ramada.

No comments: