Wednesday, February 6, 2008

today.

So, I met with MD today. She gave me insight about various programs and the sort of degree that comes out of particular schools. She stressed the importance of choosing the right school.

Right off the bat...NC State seemed to be the correct for me. She talked about programs geared towards a polished body of work (Pentagram-like work), ones geared toward self expression and experimenting (using design forms and ideas to artistic pieces), and mentioned ones based on research and the future of the practice (NC State).

Future of the practice?

That is exactly what I want to do. I have that tiny seed of a dream to figure out how to do what McDonough and Braungart are doing for architecture and industry. I feel the need to go to school to earn a more intensive education where I can focus on these ideas and gain an informed perspective.

So. She also mentioned that the problem with NCSU undergrads coming back for grad is that they have trouble making the leap toward having different relationships with professors. She said a good way to counter that is to gain experience. She said it was good that I want work more to get more experience, and she said a year abroad teaching would be good experience as well to counter those challenges.

She also gave me some places to start researching. Even though I feel strong about NCSU, it will be good to keep looking to see if I might be better suited somewhere else.

Another thought. If I cannot apply while I am abroad because of interviews, maybe I should spend a year when I get back working on my portfolio and working at a less demanding job.

Crazzzzzzy.

I hope this stuff works out. I know this is where I want to head. I just need to plan, take advice, and work really hard.

No comments: