Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Gustave Caillebotte

Caillebotte is another artist who in my art history ignorance I have never heard of. I am pretty taken with his work. I love his color palette and the moments he captures are so perfectedly "in the moment" that I almost feel like the are moving. I also like his lights and darks.

Apparently he was friends with the great Impressionists. He came from a wealthy family and was a partron to artists like Monet, Renoir, Pissarro. His work was considered more of a Realist than an Impressionist, but he was surrounded with, influenced by, and supported Impressionists.

His colors are great, and I love the perspective in his paintings. His nudes are interesting, too. Their banality makes them beautiful and unexpected.

Love these paintings. Always fun to find something new!











No comments: