Friday, January 15, 2010

Pierre Bonnard

Nudes! This guy loves nudes. I got a kick out of the fact that even a pretty tame painting of an old man had a framed picture on the wall within the portrait that contained a nude painting.

So, Bonnard is a french painter born in 1867. He was part of the impressionist movement. The brushstrokes and use of light in his paintings are eye-catching.

He was a founding member of les Nabis. I read that he's known for usage of intense colors that are close in value thereby lessening the intensity.

He did not paint from life, rather he took notes and painted in his studio. I found that really interesting. I imagine a lot of artists do the same, but I would have never considered that idea precisely. Very interesting. He does lots of complex interiors of sunlit rooms. They have a summer twilight sort of feel. Really beautiful.








No comments: