Saturday, September 19, 2009

Fra Angelico

I worry that in reading about these artists I might get feel discouraged because I feel like I might need to know everything there is to know about each artist. I would like to tell myself not to worry because I should learn just enough so feel somewhat knowledgeable about who they were and what they did.

With the in mind, I am going to learn just a few things about Fra Angelico and which paintings he did. He was a dominican Friar. It's said that he painted in a conservatively Gothic but also enlightened Renaissance manner. Maybe this is because he was developing in Renaissance styles but maintained the piety present in Gothic art.

Here are some of his paintings:














The Announciation











The Day of Judgement this painting is meant to show the precision in his use of color and detail.





















The Announciation




















Virgin and Child with Saints

No comments: