Thursday, September 17, 2009

How do I make a portfolio or artistic body of work? Hmm.

But does purpose have to be monumental? I would say not necessarily or not always. I think the thing that is most important in my personal philosophies about life and art is the long chain of human existence. How through our DNA we are connected with thousands of years of humanity. How our ideas are passed down and learned from in order to make new ideas. And how the chain of ideas keeps going and going. I like thinking about infinity and how atoms are just floating about so there is not beginning or end. I like my dad's idea that the present does not exist. I like that we are all stardust and I think the idea of evolution is beautiful and amazing.

More ideas...so someone could read all this or take one look at my coming work and say. That's stupid. Who cares? A bunch of BS. Obtuse and clearly without any substance or importance.

I think that's where I need to pull in humor maybe? Something I like to do and I guess I learned about it in graphic design is pacing. Switching things up. It's sort of like a lesson plan, too. I think that's what I like about Picasso. Experimentation. Humor. Keeping people on their toes alleviates boredom.

Specific ideas:
- documenting my own interpretation of the human form with paint.
- painting of shattering glass to go along side dad's poem.
- the present does not exist. How do I paint that the present does not exist? We split an hour in half. That into 30 separate minutes. From there we have one minute made up of 60 seconds. A second is made up of a 1000 milliseconds which could split in half as many times as we like. We cannot pinpoint the present. The second we get close anywhere close to finding it, it has moved into the past. HOW DO I PAINT THIS? Keeping my style somewhat realistic. I think that I just thought of part of the solution. A painting of a pin. Numbers (?) everywhere except where the pin is pointing. Hmm...I like the pin. Have to think about the numbers part.
- There is no beginning and no end. Atoms are just floating and if you look close enough there is space between the atoms. So everyone and everything are just atoms floating about and we are all connected. HOW DO I PAINT THIS? Represent a human form using dots. Some sort of hybrid of a realistic interpretation of a person with dots mixed in. Give it the feel of zooming in and zooming out.
- blind drawing series of...scooters? This could be my commentary on scooter culture in Taiwan. Joke! I thought of a joke. Sometimes it seems like Taiwan is full of blind drivers. Maybe I do something like 200 blind drawings and choose the best 5. And I think it will be very important to have a least one or so that is well done. Because...although Taiwan is full of "blind drivers" it somehow mostly works. We think drivers are so good back home but there are still deadly accidents all the time. And in a place this crowded, people really do need to drive the way they do or no one would ever go anywhere. Blind paintings even? Maybe very simple. Small. Solid color background. Only use black? Or maybe color? Or maybe one black? One full color? One monochromatic? So I just figured this one out. I will do 200 blind drawings or so. How about 4 separate 1 hour sessions. I take the best of them or take inspiration from a few to complete the drawing. Or would it be better to do things seen on scooters. HMM.
- something about teaching.

I need to get started on something that seems like its going in the right direction. sighhhh.

No comments: